Welcome! Please Login or Register!
April 19, 2024, 11:25:37 PM
Home Login Register
pftq Forums  |  Software and Scripts  |  SMF Mods and Add-Ons  |  SMF Mailing List - Discussion and Feedback 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Latest News!Lunar Trigger(Aug 27, 2023)
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 11 Print
Author Topic: SMF Mailing List - Discussion and Feedback  (Read 129623 times)
OldShatterhand

« Reply #60 on: July 04, 2011, 03:34:28 PM »

hi,
cause you did't reply to my last posts i did some further resarch and tried to understand the code of you emailpost.php.

If I understand it right your mod makes something like checking the Reference-Id of the incoming Mails in the following lines:
Code:
$header_data = '';
for ($i = 0, $n = count($data); $i < $n; $i++)
{
if (preg_match('~^(From|Subject|Content-Type|In-Reply-To|Message-ID|X-Mailer|Content-Transfer-Encoding): (.*)$~i', $data[$i], $match) != 0)
$headers[strtolower($match[1])] = trim($match[2]);

if (preg_match('~^References: (.*)$~i', $data[$i], $match) != 0)
$headers['references'][] = trim($match[1]);

$header_data .= $data[$i];

if (trim($data[$i]) == '')
break;
}

When this is right I think I found the reason, why there is no possibility to reply to notifications about new topics.
The modified notifications have all an Massage-Id ending with @srv36.000webhost.com (the server where the forum is hosted). The normal "New Topic" Notifications have Massage-Id ending with @mailhooks.com (for whatever reason, i can't explain that).

I will try if I could find a solution to fix that (i think it's something to do in the Subs-Post.php?!) but my php knowledge is not very good (only a little bit from school Smiley ), so it would be very nice from you if you could give me some suggestions where to something and what.

Sincerely,
OldShatterhand
pftq
Administrator

« Reply #61 on: July 04, 2011, 04:56:34 PM »

Hi there - sorry for not replying, as I haven't had a chance to test this problem out yet.  However, I can say that there is no reference header used in the mod (it is some leftover code from previous versions I must have missed).

The only thing checked is that the subject is "Re: <name of topic>" - which is why the default ones wouldn't be replied to properly (they contain "New Thread").

OldShatterhand

« Reply #62 on: July 05, 2011, 01:47:26 AM »

hm ok.... so if I change the Email Subject of my answer to "Re: <name of topic>" instead of "Re: New Topic: <name of topic>" it should work. But it doesn't.
Also there is another very strange thing: I switched on the debuging function of the emailpost.php. When I reply to a modified notification It works without problems and I see in the test.txt that everything worked fine. But when I reply to a normal "new topic" notification there is no debuging file created.
So it seams that this replys are no really submitted from mailhooks.com to the script.

EDIT:
I tested if the mails are submitted through mailhooks.com with the service from http://www.postbin.org/ and it seems that there is no problem.
So maybe the emailpost php script does not start to run, when replies to "new topic" mails are coming in Huh
« Last Edit: July 05, 2011, 08:09:42 AM by OldShatterhand » Logged
pftq
Administrator

« Reply #63 on: July 07, 2011, 03:16:24 PM »

I just noticed that you've been referring to notifications about new topics created.  My apologies there - I must have been skimming past that.  It turns out that has not been implemented in the mod yet; I probably overlooked it as I don't use the feature often.

I will add that in some time this weekend - sorry for all the confusion.  Thanks for bringing this to my attention though! Smiley
OldShatterhand

« Reply #64 on: July 08, 2011, 03:13:08 PM »

yes Grin I was referring about this in my last posts and it would be great if you could get this working.

I understand if you don't noticed that before, cause my english is realy bad (i think) and I was mostly referring about 3 or 4 different things in one post Roll Eyes.

I also referred about some other things, like no new topic notification for threads started by mail, when auto announcement's are turned off (I don't like the announcement solution Roll Eyes) and no auto notification about new replies for threads started over forum.
But they are firstly not so big problems and probaly only I see them as problems and secondly I did some dirty workarounds for those things (will work on other forums only with a bit modification) and so everything except replying to "new topic" notifications is working fine for me (from my point of view).

If you want It I can also post my workarounds but  it's only some Copy-Paste with litte code modifications and a seperate script for a cronjob.

Yours sincerely,
OldShatterhand
« Last Edit: July 08, 2011, 03:16:44 PM by OldShatterhand » Logged
pftq
Administrator

« Reply #65 on: July 09, 2011, 06:47:40 PM »

The mod has been updated to 1.03:
https://www.pftq.com/smf-mailinglist/

Main focus of the update is to also affect board notifications for new topics and to respect the profile option to auto-enable notifications for topics you post to.  For consistency, I've formatted the board notifications to look like the announcements and for the announcements to not send to those who already receive the board notifications.

Total changes:
Code:
- Extended mailing list functions to include board notifications, previously overlooked.  Special thanks to OldShatterhand for pointing this out.
- Reworded descriptions of settings a bit to group "announcements" and "board notifications" together.
- Fixed SMF bug where announcements are sent even if members already receive a board notification with the topic.
- Fixed to respect member profile settings for auto-enable notifications if they post via email.

I'm not sure if I addressed all requested changes there (a number of them were tied to the same cause), so if there's anything else, just let me know. Smiley
OldShatterhand

« Reply #66 on: July 10, 2011, 05:30:45 AM »

Thanks for your good work, now everything works fine (as far as i tested it until now).
I only hope, that I removed all my little workarounds now Grin.

Only for the completeness:  By happenstance I noticed one last thing which is realy not importand, but maybe it is good to now: If you make your forum only visible for members (the first option after the "Poll-Option") it is not possible to post by email, but as I sad, this is realy unimportant.
pftq
Administrator

« Reply #67 on: July 10, 2011, 10:23:48 AM »

That is a strange one, yes.  I will double-check on that when I get a chance - thanks for letting me know. Smiley
pftq
Administrator

« Reply #68 on: July 13, 2011, 03:41:06 PM »

Ok so unfortunately that won't be fixable.  It turns out to just be the way SMF works regarding scripts that run it externally (such as this mod).  If guests aren't allowed to browse, external scripts won't even run unless the user is logged in (there is no user here).  Like you said though, it's a small issue (one can just disable guests from viewing all the boards as a work around).  Smiley

Some other fixes came up though:
      20110713 1.05:
      - Updated duplicate announcements fix, which prevents announcements being sent to already notified members, to also include groups from the Notify Group plugin.
      - Fixed announcements not being sent and errors being generated if topic is emailed in (broken by 1.04).

20110710 1.04:
      - Updated to accomodate the Notify Group mod's group notifications (emailing to entire groups instead of members).

Sorry for all the changes the last few days. Tongue
OldShatterhand

« Reply #69 on: August 12, 2011, 08:10:25 AM »

hi,
it's me again.
I noticed another little thing/problem with your mod, which is mainly a problem for germans, like me.
As you may know in the German language there a some specific letters called "umlaute" (see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Germanic_umlaut).
If someone post a new thread with a topic which contains one of this letters (in my forum this occurs relativly often) the Mod replaces this letter in the notification mail with an X.
If you want to answer to this topic it is not possible now, cause the letter is wrong. Also if you manually modify the reply subject it is not possible to response (maybe because the formation thunderbird uses: ISO-8859-15.

Maybee it's only a problem cause I don't use UTF-8 in my forum but i don't know it. If this is causing the problem i have one further question: is it possible to upgrade the db's to UTF-8 without having to care about data loss?
pftq
Administrator

« Reply #70 on: August 12, 2011, 10:14:34 AM »

Hi,

If you go to Admin > Forum Maintenance, SMF actually has an option for converting to UTF-8.  Can you try doing that and see if it helps?

Thanks
OldShatterhand

« Reply #71 on: August 13, 2011, 07:28:44 AM »

it doesnt work.

In the mails from the mod everything except the subject is formatted fine with utf-8. only in the subject the "Umlaute" are replaced by a X.
Exampe with part of header and mail:
Code:
Subject: test fXXr utf8
test f&#252;r utf8

testtt

========================================

when i send mails with thunderbird, which are formattet in utf8 the subjects of the mails looks like that (with the same subject as above):
Subject:  test =?UTF-8?B?ZsO8ciB1dGY4?=

So maybe it is possible to teach the mod to write such subjects byself and to read them also when mails which such subjects come in. Otherwise (for example in this case) a new thread with the topic  "test =?UTF-8?B?ZsO8ciB1dGY4?=" will be created instead of the right topic "test für utf8"
pftq
Administrator

« Reply #72 on: August 13, 2011, 04:08:09 PM »

If everything else is formatted fine, it may be the case I forgot to apply the same formatting algorithm to the subject - which would make it an easy fix.  I will look at it later tonight.

Thanks again for letting me know.
pftq
Administrator

« Reply #73 on: August 13, 2011, 09:49:16 PM »

The issue should be fixed now.  Please redownload but you only have to replace the emailpost.php file in your main forum directory.

Download link: https://www.pftq.com/smf-mailinglist/

Let me know how it goes.
OldShatterhand

« Reply #74 on: August 14, 2011, 09:03:42 AM »

thank you for your work
but unfortunately it does not work.
The notification mails have still and X instead of the "umlaute" and if i try to answer to such a notification by replacing the X with the right letter the mod creates a new topic.
But the new topic has now not the strange title that i described before!
Now it cuts the Subject: "Re: test =?UTF-8?B?ZsO8ciB1bWxhdXRl?=" (Re: test für Umlaute) to "test" (for the new topic).

EDIT:
I also noticed a little thing which could be useful for you.
Until yesterday (before the new version of your mod) ONLY in the notification mails the error occurs. In the Mails which notify about a closed topic the subject was well formatted. Maybee you could see in this part of the forum code how to do this.
« Last Edit: August 14, 2011, 09:22:59 AM by OldShatterhand » Logged
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 11 Print 
pftq Forums  |  Software and Scripts  |  SMF Mods and Add-Ons  |  SMF Mailing List - Discussion and Feedback « previous next »
Jump to: