Welcome! Please Login or Register!
April 30, 2024, 06:09:56 AM
Home Login Register
pftq Forums  |  Software and Scripts  |  SMF Mods and Add-Ons  |  SMF Mailing List - Discussion and Feedback 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Latest News!Lunar Trigger(Aug 27, 2023)
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 11 Print
Author Topic: SMF Mailing List - Discussion and Feedback  (Read 129659 times)
pftq
Administrator

« Reply #90 on: December 02, 2011, 02:09:35 PM »

You pick the default board under Features and Options, make sure that board is only accessible to admin.  Then only admin will get the email.

It should be no more than a few minutes for the posts to show up, if not instant.  Did you turn on HTTP POST under Features and Options? That should be all that's necessary.

Other thought is changing file permissions on emailpost.php to 755 (so mailhook can send to it) if it isn't already.

If still no luck, please open emailpost.php and change the debug line from false to true.  Then check what is put in the /forums/test.txt file when you try to send to mailhooks.com
rjscott2005

« Reply #91 on: December 02, 2011, 02:13:43 PM »

Okay so it's intended to work for just a single board, not multiple boards? I've got HTTP POST checked in Features and Options and file perms on emailpost.php set to 755. I'm going to change the debug to true in emailpost.php and see what happens.
Thanks,
rjscott2005

« Reply #92 on: December 02, 2011, 02:23:12 PM »

hmmm... I set debug to true and tried to start a topic by sending to the mailhooks email. A test.txt file was not created in /forums.
Okay so it's intended to work for just a single board, not multiple boards? I've got HTTP POST checked in Features and Options and file perms on emailpost.php set to 755. I'm going to change the debug to true in emailpost.php and see what happens.<div>Thanks,</div>
rjscott2005

« Reply #93 on: December 02, 2011, 02:37:05 PM »

I guess the most important question that I should ask is whether this can be used for multiple boards in a forum. What I was hoping for was to be able to do something like this:
board1@myforum.com will post to board1 only
board2@myforum.com will post to board2 only
etc.
pftq
Administrator

« Reply #94 on: December 02, 2011, 02:50:29 PM »

New topics go to one board but replies work for any board. (they go to the original topic).
I thought about working multiple email addresses but not sure if people would want to set up so many in such a manner.

If no test.txt file is being created, that means something is blocking mailhooks.com from accessing emailpost.php (maybe the server config doesn't allow POST data to be sent that way).
rjscott2005

« Reply #95 on: December 02, 2011, 03:15:08 PM »

Could there be other settings to try? It's a dedicated server and I have root access.

pftq
Administrator

« Reply #96 on: December 03, 2011, 03:31:05 PM »

You'll want to search for how to configure your server to accept webhooks (the more formal name for what mailhooks is doing).  I'm not sure what settings might be amiss right off the bat, but I can do some more searching later this weekend and get back to you on that.
rjscott2005

« Reply #97 on: December 03, 2011, 03:32:21 PM »

Thanks, I appreciate it.

pftq
Administrator

« Reply #98 on: December 04, 2011, 03:07:38 PM »

So it looks like mailhooks' service is actually down right now.  The other alternative was smtp2web but it also seems to not be working.  I've only tested the  mod with those two services but if you know of others, it *should* work also.

Other than that, piping the email from within your own site is really the safest route here, if you can somehow enable that.
rjscott2005

« Reply #99 on: December 05, 2011, 08:22:01 AM »

Hi-
So I tried a different approach. Instead of changing aliases in postfix, I changed aliases in /etc/ which as I understand is for Sendmail. I no longer get the error message after doing newaliases from the cmd line but when I send an email to that address, I eventually get a returned email stating:
Technical details of permanent failure:
Google tried to deliver your message, but it was rejected by the recipient domain. We recommend contacting the other email provider for further information about the cause of this error. The error that the other server returned was: 550 550 5.1.1 <thepipedemail@mydomain.org>: Recipient address rejected: User unknown in virtual mailbox table (state 14).

The only thing I noticed is that the aliases.db in /etc/ didn't get updated when I changed aliases. I'm not even sure if it's supposed to. The perms on it are 640. aliases.db in /etc/postfix/ has perms at 644 and was updated when I changed aliases there. I changed /etc/aliases.db to 644 but nothing was written to it. Could it be something to do with the virtual mailbox table as stated in the returned email? Any ideas on that?
Thanks,
So it looks like mailhooks' service is actually down right now.  The other alternative was smtp2web but it also seems to not be working.  I've only tested the  mod with those two services but if you know of others, it *should* work also.

Other than that, piping the email from within your own site is really the safest route here, if you can somehow enable that.
pftq
Administrator

« Reply #100 on: December 05, 2011, 08:55:36 AM »

Sorry, I'm really not sure here as I normally use cPanel to set this up.
Some digging gave me this though - not sure if you've tried it:

Also make sure you do edit the /forums/emailpost.php first line to point to where PHP is installed on your server.  The google link I notice gave an example of using #!/bin/php, but that may or may not be the same as yours.
rjscott2005

« Reply #101 on: December 05, 2011, 10:20:56 AM »

Thank you for all of your help. After re-reading through the links you provided and everything else I've found, I think I'm out of my depth on this one. I guess I'm not going to be able to use this very cool mod. It's too bad that I don't have Cpanel on my dedicated server. Life would seemingly be simpler.
<div>Sorry, I'm really not sure here as I normally use cPanel to set this up.</div><div>Some digging gave me this though - not sure if you've tried it:</div><div>http://answers.google.com/answers/threadview?id=562518</div><div>http://helpdesk.deskpro.com/manual.php?p=166</div><div> </div><div>Also make sure you do edit the /forums/emailpost.php first line to point to where PHP is installed on your server.  The google link I notice gave an example of using #!/bin/php, but that may or may not be the same as yours.</div>
pftq
Administrator

« Reply #102 on: December 05, 2011, 05:08:59 PM »

Sorry to hear that - I really wish I could help.  Let me know though if you do ever get around to making it work.
apieandpint

« Reply #103 on: December 22, 2011, 03:53:13 AM »

Hi there,

Do you know if this is close to being released for SMF 2.0.1?

This is a mod I could really make use of Cheesy
pftq
Administrator

« Reply #104 on: December 22, 2011, 08:02:23 AM »

I'm going to try to work on this over break but I'm not sure how long it'll take me.  Haven't had too much spare time lately but this is definitely on my to-do list.
« Last Edit: December 22, 2011, 10:44:37 AM by pftq » Logged
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 11 Print 
pftq Forums  |  Software and Scripts  |  SMF Mods and Add-Ons  |  SMF Mailing List - Discussion and Feedback « previous next »
Jump to: