Welcome! Please Login or Register!
April 26, 2024, 02:45:05 PM
Home Login Register
pftq Forums  |  Main  |  General Discussion  |  Creating A Website 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Latest News!Lunar Trigger(Aug 27, 2023)
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Creating A Website  (Read 4276 times)
realn

« on: May 09, 2010, 05:29:57 AM »

Hey all and pftq, Just thought I'd ask an old buddy and expert their opinion about something new.

For SC2, I'm redesigning my old radio.lclan.com to be set up for a Starcraft site.

Check out the preview sites now at:

76.117.19.88/
76.117.19.88/starcraft
(Note these are being hosted on my home computer and will not always load)

Thanks, and do suggest things and let me know what you think. I'm using Microsoft Web Platform Installer to install a SQL server and Acquia Drupal as well as Wix Flash for the front page. Thanks again!
pftq
Administrator

« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2010, 09:38:47 AM »

Hey realn - long time no see. Grin

The sites look pretty clean as far as I can tell... maybe a bit *too* plain? There should be a bit more of a game element to it depending on what you're going for.  The names on the "Who's New?" could be clickable.  Get rid of the "Home" link that appears on the subpages as it's pretty useless (same as "News" or move it to the nav bar).  Also not sure what your limitations are, but you might consider making the page scale to the window.  I expect if your site gets content heavy, the fixed window size might become a problem.

I'd generally prefer writing my own Flash, so I can keep everything on one server though.  Tongue
« Last Edit: May 09, 2010, 09:43:46 AM by pftq » Logged
realn

« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2010, 08:42:38 AM »

Lol, nice replies, thanks so much, no one else I know is as good and unique at web design (and all other scripting) than you.

I don't know how to remove Home link, will try to figure that out, it's a CMS that displays it.

The flash I wish could be downloadable, I want something like that, so going to try to mimic it now that I just downloaded Adobe Creative Suite.

Lastly, it's just a small website, I made it small on purpose, I don't want it to expand. Smiley There won't be a lot of content, it's just kind for fun, and makes me seem more focused that I have a website that I can call my own while I play SC2 and learn more about it.

I like plain, but I also just wanna make something cool like but interconnective like you have done with all your websites, haha. Tongue
pftq
Administrator

« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2010, 09:36:21 AM »

Ah ok - well small is fine.  I was just worried about when you'd have a lot of forum topics - it might get crowded in the window.
realn

« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2010, 09:46:29 AM »

Heh, yeah. well we already have The Legion Clan Forum so it's really only intended for things very small, like quick forum communication for a tournament that I host or something. Smiley Don't think many do use it, but if it starts to look crammed or unorganized, I will definitely change it up or split forums up, or whatever, because the whole point is to make it look small for function and appeal, and also great on mobile browsers. Smiley

One of the things I'll put on this site is uStream or LiveStream, and try to mess around linking it with youtube, facebook, twitter, etc. Smiley SC2 is pretty cool btw, are you going to be playing it / scripting it? Smiley And as for the design being plain, yeah it is pretty plain looking at it now, but I think I'm just gonna go with it for now. The next one I make will be even more flashy once I learn more. Smiley

Really great getting your response, BTW! Glad to see you are doing well and composing music now. Wink
« Last Edit: May 10, 2010, 09:54:55 AM by realn » Logged
pftq
Administrator

« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2010, 01:26:29 PM »

I see - that makes sense then. Smiley  Very true about mobile browsers.

Are most people moving to SC2 now over the Age of series? Have to admit I've been more just too busy lately to do anything (even music/video) rather than moving on to anything.
« Last Edit: May 10, 2010, 01:28:32 PM by pftq » Logged
realn

« Reply #6 on: May 10, 2010, 04:12:13 PM »

Hehe, welll like you, most guys I think get too busy. I get busy too sometimes, but I've made it a goal to move onto SC2 and stay consistently active there as much if not more than I was with even AOE3. I just bought a new desk, chair, built from scratch computer (parts still shipping in), and everything, so that should set me up good. Should be decent.
Pages: [1] Print 
pftq Forums  |  Main  |  General Discussion  |  Creating A Website « previous next »
Jump to: